Wednesday, January 22, 2014

I have always been drawn to mixed media projects........why - I have no earthly idea.......maybe because there are so many layers........which is reflective of me - a gal made up of many colorful layers........enough psychoanalysis - the couch is closed.......back to the conversation at hand..........

Mixed Media projects are made up of those everyday ordinary or not so ordinary what-the-heck-does-this-go-to items we all tend to find, at one time or another, behind the coffee pot, canisters, or on a window sill.  But, if you're a lucky girl like myself then you might have a workshop out back that you can go pilfering thru on a whim until your heart's content, your hands are black, & you're sneezing you're head off.....pass the tissues........

If you don't have the added benefit of a workshop, then going on a treasure hunt to your local craft & thrift stores can be a fun adventure so that we can create something like this..........














an 11 x 14 canvas exploding with color, texture, complete with lots of dimension




the dress bodice was a Michael's dollar bin find - I just cut it in half, inked it up to highlight the raised edges, distressed & glued a scrap of lace I had for the skirt, added a pearl strand for some extra class, & adhered her to the canvas





corrugated paper inked and/or painted served as a nifty back drop for my warm & fuzzy words - both of which I grabbed from my ancient stash of goodness


  
a couple of dollar bin butterflies inked & sprayed w/some Tattered Angels whimsically flying away leaving a trail made of tarnished looking chain rescued from the junk drawer was just the right touch needed




and finally layered silk flowers topped with a button & some older than the hills other silk flowers which were had been hibernating in my stash for eons






I modge-podged or used some gel medium (I can't remember which because I am rather retro-vintagey myself!) to adhere old sewing patterns for the background.  I love how the irregularity of the tissue paper patterns add so much texture to this piece.  I used various colors (Orange Marmalade, Barn Door, & Crushed Olive) of Tim Holtz Distress Stain randomly to add color.

Next, I white washed the canvas using watered down white paint or gesso, blotted with a paper towel, & used more stain until I achieved the desired effect.

This was a fun piece to create........let me know if you have any questions......go forth & create friends!        

No comments: